9.2.07

Blessings to you my friend

Mr Moi took this rather amusing photo at the Todaiji Temple at Nara. With my basic knowledge of Japanese, I would guess that 'dai' means big, 'ji' usually means time, and 'To' may be the same 'To' that's in 'To'kyo, and Kyo'to'. The two kanjis used in Tokyo mean eastern capital (I think), and Kyoto, may mean old capital. Not sure.

But based on my rudimentary translation, the name of this temple is 'capital big time', and that's what these guys look like they're having.

The Todaiji Temple is located in the city of Nara. This town was probably the most 'touristy' I have been to in Japan, with lots of shops and alleyways, and even a hint of the touting that is standard fare everywhere else in the Asian world except Japan.

The temple is surrounded by parkland where deer roam free. While this sounds nice, the hoards of tourists who frequent the temple have a bad habit of feeding the deer. The deer almost overrun the whole town, and are dirty, sick, smelly and aggressive.

This pic was taken on a trip with Mr Moi and Mama Moi in December 2004. We missed Aussie Christmas that year, but we visited a temple instead.

2 comments:

Wes said...

I note that you've already NOT shown a picture of Kiev! Must really have been cold. This is pretty cool though. I agree that it is a pretty capital big time, judging by the looks on their faces.

Great idea for a blog too!

Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Thanks wes. You sort of inspired me with your daily photo from BrisVegas.

Photo Blog Blogs - Blog Top Sites Add to Technorati Favorites